The decision to build a home addition is not a small one. What motivates a homeowner to take on such a monumental project? People in Northeast Ohio love their homes; however, as their families grow or their needs change, their homes may no longer serve the purposes they once did. Rather than going through the hassle of buying a new home and moving, these passionate homeowners decide to reinvest in their current spaces with a home addition that meets their new needs.
Some common reasons that Cleveland area homeowners build an addition include:
- Accommodating a Growing Family: When a new member of the family is welcomed into the home, its layout must accommodate another bedroom. Many Cleveland homeowners build an addition to add a master suite, a nursery, or extra bedrooms for their children. Northeast Ohio homeowners also build home additions to make room for in-law suites and guest rooms.
- Needing More Living Space: With a growing family comes a growing need for more living space. The standard Cleveland home was built with just one living room; however, many Northeast Ohio families today desire multiple spaces for family entertainment. A home addition can make room for a second family room, a gaming or playroom, a “man cave,” or a media room.
- Desiring a Creative or Exercise Space: Many homeowners in Cleveland are also avid hobbyists, pursuing crafts that require dedicated space. For these people, a home addition can be turned into a carpentry workshop, painting studio, craft room, yoga studio, in-home gym, or much more.
- Building a Flex Indoor/Outdoor Space: In Cuyahoga, Geauga, and Lake Counties, there are a precious few months out of the year that are comfortable for outdoor entertainment. To extend that window, some Cleveland area homeowners build flexible indoor/outdoor additions, such as covered porches, screened porches, sunrooms, and greenhouses.
- Creating an In-Home Rental Property: There is great demand for rental properties in Cuyahoga County. You may be interested in taking on a full-time renter or occasional Airbnb guest for extra income, but don’t have the room. A home addition with a private entrance can be a great solution to this problem!
- Expanding an Older Home: Many homes in Cleveland and its suburbs were built in the 1920s through the 1960s. During these decades, smaller homes were the norm. Today in Northeast Ohio, there is a preference for spacious, open-concept layouts. An addition to your older home can be the perfect compromise—you get to keep the original charm of your historic home while adding spacious living areas that accommodate your family’s modern needs.
- Increasing Home Value: Regardless of your primary motivation for adding square footage, an addition will significantly increase the value of your home! Houses with new master suites, in-law suites, rental spaces, sunrooms, home gyms, garages, and other additions are hot commodities in the Greater Cleveland housing market!
Cobblestone Construction is Cleveland’s preferred company for home additions. Since 2001, owner and project manager Chris Spear has guided many satisfied Northeast Ohio homeowners through the home addition process. He listens to homeowners to fully understand their motivations and remodeling goals, then designs creative space solutions that complement their homes’ existing layouts. Cobblestone Construction has a team of expert subcontractors for whatever your addition will need, from engineering and interior design to specialty construction and finishing. The result will be a stunning addition that seamlessly transitions into your home’s original footprint. Regardless of the size and scope of your home addition dream, Cobblestone Construction will make it a reality!
If you love your Northeast Ohio home but wish it had more space, Cobblestone Construction is here for you. We will help grow your home in a way that meets your current and future needs! Contact Chris today to chat about your home addition dream and schedule a free, in-person consultation.